Pin It button on image hover

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Spicy Tomato Soup Recipe


After a long wait, in farmer’s markets is finally tomato season in full power. Small, big, red, green, yellow, round or oval, you can find excellent quality tomatoes on the stands.

So, again, another dead easy recipe that packs a lot of flavor and that you can switch and mix to your liking. A couple of things about this first, things that I use when cooking tomato soup. I use both water and tomato juice to cook, in proportions of 1 to 3 (1 part water, 3 tomato juice) and I don’t really like celery in this. Yeah, I know it’s weird, totally, but that’s how I roll, get over it, stop giving me that look and get away from the back button on your browser. You can always add it if you like it. 


So, about 250 ml of water, 750 of tomato juice (to get that, I just cut the tomatoes in half and grate them on a medium grater, another thing, I like my tomato soup with the seeds in it), 1 spicy red chilli (on a scale from 1 to 10, I’ll have an 11), 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, 2 garlic cloves, a couple of branches of fresh thyme, 2-3 tbs of chopped parsley, 2 bay leaves, salt pepper, olive oil. Oh, and another thing, I would suggest not to use a juicer to get the tomato juice, the results tend to be a little bit too thin for my taste, and rather mild in taste. Better use this method for your Bloody Mary.


Start up by heating the olive oil on high flame, add in the finely chopped onion, finely grated or chopped carrot, the sliced garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the hot water and cook on the high heat for another 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat, add the tomato juice, salt, pepper, thyme and bay and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, after which sprinkle the parsley on top. You can mix things up, add celery sticks or root, peppers, sprinkle some olives on top in the end, add basil, oregano, whatever makes your day, that’s the beauty of this dish.

So there you have it, easy spicy tomato soup. Just toast some slices of bread, rub them with a clove of garlic, sprinkle some olive oil on the bread and enjoy the summer. And I think it goes without saying: don’t forget your nice, cooled wine. 


Enjoy,
Mr. G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...